Tuesday, December 10, 2013

SoMeTiMeS iT TaKeS a TeRrOrIsT tO PuT ThInGs InTo PeRsPeCtIvE....

Hey friends!!!

So, I know you've heard from me twice in the past week but I've been doing a lot of thinking this evening due to some unfortunate circumstances and need to get somethings out.....

Today, I had another unfortunate interaction with an individual that has been attempting to make life pretty hard this past semester.  By the time Andrew picked me up this afternoon, I was in tears and beyond frustrated at the situation.  Fortunately, I get to come home to a pretty great guy who makes things SO much better for me.....

But, I digress, this blog is about the terrorist after all.....and that's exactly what this post is about!  As I sat in the kitchen doing my homework while Andrew was in the living room on a skype meeting and Lana was in her kennel (due to indiscretions I'm not going to disclose at this time), I reflected on today's events.  I was upset, frustrated, annoyed, confused, and every other emotion that goes along with having to deal with a snarky, hurtful individual, but I happened to look to my left to see my big monster laying on her bed and, what we affectionately call, "tranqing" with her gorillas......and, in that moment I felt like I was hit with a brick and was completely overwhelmed by the love I have for her!

It never ceases to amaze me that something that can't speak a single coherent word can put life into perspective in an instant without even knowing it!  As I watched her tranquilize with her gorillas a flood of emotions swept over me and in that moment I realized, despite the hurtful events of the day, my life is full of so many blessings!  I have been blessed with a wonderful family, great friends, a super supportive and sweet guy, a puppy that always makes things interesting and is so darn cute and a big ol' shepherd that, despite the frustration, worry, anger, and annoyance she can cause, makes every single second of every single day worth it for me!

When Brear died last December 2nd, I never thought I could ever love something with the same unconditional love that I had for her but, God has been so good to me and blessed me with another shepherd to love with the same, if not more, unconditional love!  In some bizarre twist of fate, I have been blessed with two wonderful dogs that happened to have their lives cut short before the age of 3.  When I lost Mag I didn't think another dog would come along that I could love like I did him but then came along my Brearsy girl!  I loved her with every ounce of love I had to give and never imagined I would have to say "goodbye" before the age of 3, I just couldn't imagine that curse would strike again!  But, sometimes things go array for reasons we may never know or understand....and then enter Tier.

When I got Tier the wounds from losing Brear were still so fresh and I worried that I would resent her, always compare her to Brear, never think she was good enough.....boy was I wrong!  Tierney has been not just my dog but an angel on earth for me and is the perfect mix of Mag and Brear!  She has gotten me through some really difficult times when I have missed Brear to the point my heart felt like it was going to stop, when I wanted to lay down and give up on it all, when things seemed too scary and difficult to go on.....and, through each difficult situation she has always given me nothing less than 100% of her heart!  And, yet again, in a single instant this evening she has put things back into perspective and made me feel loved beyond compare, without ever uttering a single word!  Like I wrote above, it never ceases to amaze me the power of a dog's love and kindness.....if only us humans could realize the true beauty of what a dog's love is all about; we could really benefit from letting go of anger and loving more unconditionally!

As I sit here writing, with Tier by my side with one of her favorite toys in her mouth, I will leave you all with my favorite poem that, to me, embodies the true essence of my big shepherd, Tir Na Nog.....

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or "that's a lot of money for just a dog."
They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent,
or the costs involved for "just a dog."
Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.
Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by
"just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch
of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."
"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship,
trust, and pure unbridled joy.
"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience
that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long runs and look
longingly to the future.
So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog"
but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.
"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts
away from myself and the worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that its' not "just a dog"
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being 
"just a man" or "just a woman."
So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog,"
just smile,
because they "just don't understand."    

CiAo,

TiEr & sHaNnOn


No comments:

Post a Comment